Pure & Sweet Almond Milk – from Not milk...nut milks!
- 2/3 c. raw almonds 7-16-12
- 1 tsp ground flaxseeds
- 1 ½ tsp lecithin granules
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 c. water
- Warm the water on the stove. Don't bring to a boil
- Combine the almonds in a blender with 2/3 cup of the heated water and blend until smooth.
- Add ingredients 2-5 and blend. Add remaining water and blend.
- Pour almond milk through a strainer when transferring to a jar to remove the pulpy, crunchy part.
It honestly had a boring flavor. I didn't sweeten it because I kind of made it for my mom, and it probably wasn't salty enough. Tomorrow I may add a little honey, and also try a mint chocolate version of it too.
The coconut milk recipe is from Wellness Mama, but I shrunk the recipe and added a little so here are my proportions:
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/4 c. coconut
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ~1 tbs vanilla extract
Note: I also threw in a tiny but of leftover homemade coconut butter to use it up.
Results: it's too salty.
I wanted it as salty as cows milk - 125 mg per 8 ounces. Well, 1/4 tsp of salt is 1.5 grams... That means that .02 teaspoons should give me 125 mg of sodium per 8 ounces.
I guess I got a little salt happy because the almond milk was bland. Despite it being too salty, it's better than So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk being extremely bland with it's 15mg/8oz.
Maybe it should be sweetened, or maybe it's fine when eaten with sweet homemade granola.
I started making sweet relish (sweetened with honey), but ditched that to go be with these 3 lovelies:
Lunch was the tastiest:
Mushroom Pesto Cheddar Sandwich
- olive oil
- 2 slices - Wegmans Food You Feel Good About Bread, Whole Grain
- 1-2 oz(?) sliced cheddar cheese - enough slices for one (or more) layer(s) of cheese
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 2(?) mushrooms, sliced
- 1-2 tbs Fresh Basil Pesto
- Spread oil on one side of each slice of bread. Place one slice, oil side down, on a broiler pan; top with the cheese and mushrooms, sprinkle with oregano and garlic. Spread basil pesto on the other bread slice and place on top, oil side up. Broil on low for 3-4 minutes each side. Watch to make sure it doesn't burn!
Note: I used almonds in the pesto. Tastes great and no different.